Saturday, February 2, 2013

January Jettison

In January both Susy and Bea molted. I didn't get many photos this time of Susy looking lousy, she looks fairly normal here:


Enter, Bea to the scene. There's no tail! Both big girls lost their tails during molting. Last year's molting photo of Susy shows a few short tail feathers, I don't remember if she lost her tail completely, but this year she definitely did.


This isn't the greatest photo, but it shows Bea's yellow neck due to molting. I don't remember this much loss of plumage in past years. We did have a particularly cold winter, so I felt bad for the little chickies. Why do they molt during the winter? Don't they need their feathers to keep warm?


Ku'u Ipo eats a grapefruit segment:


And has been attacking me. She really hurts when she pecks my hands! I don't know why she's so agressive with me, not with anyone else. I'm hoping I can change this somehow.


No comments:

Post a Comment